With the growing importance of the Google My Business (GMB) listing and Google committing even more to making Google My Business an important part of local business, it is important for any business to claim or gain control of their listing, so they can control the information that is presented and better interact with customers. With all of the added features in the past year and more to come, you need to provide as much information as possible about your business within the GMB. The information you provide helps signal to Google about your offerings and potentially enhance your listings rankings for specific service offerings.
Though the process tends to change on a monthly basis as Google puts more resources toward GMB, this is the current method, and it should generally be close to this process for at least the near future. I will try to update if significant changes are made.
Advantages of Owning Your Google My Business Listing
Owning your Google My Business listing gives you control of a number of things that users can alter or change if you don’t control it. Below is a list of things you can do by owning your listing. All of which can have a bearing on your positioning.
- Write your Business Description
- Write your business service descriptions
- Correct and monitor your Name, Address, Phone, and other basic business info
- Users can suggest edits that can be accepted if you don’t reject them
- Consistent Name, Address, and Phone (NAP) is important to search engines understanding your business as an entity
- Provide your own images and videos (Google can associate images with your business that if finds online)
- Provide Posts (Helps signal to Google areas of expertise and also get website pages indexed quickly)
- Provide owner answers to user-supplied questions
- Provide seeded owner Questions as an FAQ about your business
- Provide answers to user reviews from the owner
- More to come I’m sure
Basically, if you don’t own your GMB listing, you better claim it ASAP. If you want help monitoring and managing your GMB properly, we offer it as a standalone service or included as part of a more aggressive SEO plan.